It’s that time of the year again. The time when countless girls ogle their TV screens at the unbelievably stunning supermodels strutting the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show runway. The VS Fashion Show is definitely one of my favourite holiday TV specials and I look forward to watching it every year. Many people would assume these girls starve themselves, workout all day, have gone under the knife, etc. It’s easy to assume these things when a person looks the way they do. I think often times that people oversee the unwavering commitment these girls have to leading a healthy lifestyle focusing on strength and stamina, rather than looking like a high fashion, rail thin model.
I want to start out by saying that yes I know… these women are born naturally thin and beautiful. Following their fitness, diet, and beauty regimes will not automatically turn you into one of these women. No, it’s not realistic to want to or expect to look like a Victoria’s Secret model. They put in a TON of work to keep looking the way they do. Yes, it’s their job. Yes, most of us don’t have time to workout as much as they do. I just thought it would be fun to share some of their tips I gathered from interviews that can be easily incorporated into our own lives. So regardless of whether or not you look like a supermodel, you could feel like one!
I’m sure there’s countless things that the ladies do to get their lean, toned bodies. I’ve recapped some of the reoccurring themes, along with the associated models, that were mentioned as predominate forms of exercise in their routines:
- Ballet Beautiful: “Created by Mary Helen Bowers to polish and sculpt her own form as a professional ballerina, Ballet Beautiful provides techniques to build and maintain the beauty, strength and grace of a ballerina. Targeted exercises and stretches to sculpt and tone sleek ballet muscles – from any location!” VS Fans: Erin, Lindsay, Miranda, Lilly
- TRX - “TRX Training draws on leading-edge research and best practices from the military, pro sports, and academic institutions coupled with our seasoned team’s experience working with thousands of athletes, coaches, trainers, first responders, subject matter experts, professors, and service members in all branches.” VS Fans: Izabel, Alessandra
- Boxing – VS Fans: Adriana, Alessandra, Izabel, Doutzen
- Pilates/Yoga – VS Fans: Behati, Candice, Karlie
- Running – VS Fans: Candice, Adriana
- Weight Training – VS Fans: Candice, Adriana
- Jump Rope – VS Fans: Candice, Adriana
- Find an activity that’s fun for you and stick with it.
- Do little things here and there, even if it’s for 10 minutes, to remain active. For example, go for a walk, jump rump, or do some squats.
- Focus on intense, athletic workouts a few times a week to see results. Note: In one of the interviews I watched, Adriana says she’ll spend 3 hours at the gym because she has so much energy. I would not suggest that for us regular folk.
- Start increasing the intensity of your workouts at least 2 months leading up to a big event. For them, it’s the fashion show. For us, it could be a wedding or beach vacation.
- If you need help getting motivated, use a trainer to push you.
- Don’t stop working out while traveling. Pack some ankle weights and a jump rope to stay active right in your hotel room.
- Turn regular activities into a workout. I believe it was Erin that says sometimes she’ll clean her apartment in heels!
There’s plenty of videos online that show some of the VS girl’s favourite fitness moves along with online trainers sharing workouts that help lean and tone the body. Here’s some of my favourites:
Train Like An Angel Series
Yoga – Lindsay Ellingson’s Routine
Ballet Beautiful – Lily Aldridge’s Routine
Ankle Weights – Candice Swanepoel’s Routine
More videos of the girls exercising can be found on the VS YouTube page.
I hope that’s helpful for those who are trying to wrap their head around what these women do to stay so fit. A couple questions for you guys… Do you have a favourite VS model? Does anyone else agree that these ladies are good fitness role models?
Stay tuned for my next Victoria’s Secret inspired post in a couple days!